Our Family

Our Family

The Anglican Parish of Central Saanich is made up of two congregations: St Mary's and St Stephen's. We work together as one parish.

Our worship strives to lead us into God’s presence through the simplicity and beauty of Anglican liturgy. We emphasize the reading and preaching of God’s word, the receiving of Holy Communion, and our response through prayer and singing. Our worship alternates between traditional and contemporary language. We also strive to offer excellent programs for children and youth. Here's what you can expect at each location on Sunday:

St. Mary's is a modern building located in Saanichton. Sunday worship is at 9am with children's program. The service is a bit more formal, with music led by the choir, accompanied by piano and organ. A quiet, meditative Taizé service by candlelight is offered the 3rd Sunday of each month at 7pm. There is also a quiet service of Holy Communion on Wednesday at 10am, followed by coffee and Bible study. 

St. Stephen's Church is a heritage building located in the Mount Newton valley. Sunday worship is 11am with a children's program. The service is more informal, with music led by the congregation, accompanied by piano and organ. A band made up of guitars and drums leads the worship on the 4th Sunday of the month, in the church hall. 

Both congregations have opportunities for Bible study, prayer, outreach and fellowship. See the 'Ministries' page for more details. 

St. Stephen's Cemetery: The first known date of a burial in the St. Stephen's Cemetery was that of another member of the pioneer Thomson family. Young William aged nine was laid to rest in 1869. The burials have expanded from that first in 1869 to well over five hundred in the 1990′s.

To read more about the Cemetery, click here.

 To return to the History of the churches, click here.

 *********************************************************************************

The Anglican Parish of Central Saanich doesn’t ‘go it alone’. We see ourselves as partners in God's mission in the world, along with all people of faith. More formally, though, we are part of a larger family:

We are a proud member parish of the Anglican Diocese of British Columbia, those Anglican churches found on Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands, and Kingcome Inlet on the Sunshine Coast. Informally, some have taken to calling us ‘the diocese of the islands and inlets’.

In 2015, we adopted a Vision as a diocese: Renewed Hearts, Renewed Spirits, Renewed People. Since then, we have embarked on a vision fullfillment journey to discern how God will guide us towards seeing our vision come to life in our parishes, communities and regions.

Learn more about our Diocesan Vision

As a diocese, we are also part of the Anglican Church of Canada and the worldwide Anglican Communion. The Anglican Church of Canada is also in a ‘full communion’ partnership with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.